How to backup and restore Compliance Sheriff
This article will describe how to correctly backup your Compliance Sheriff Installation. It can also be used to move a Compliance Sheriff installation from one server to another.
Compliance Sheriff has 2 parts that will need to be saved.
- ComplianceSheriff folder that is located on the server that is running the controller role
- 1 Database ComplianceSheriff_<CustomerName>
Backup controller server:
- Copy the folder C:\ProgramData\Cryptzone\ComplianceSheriff
This folder can be located at another directory depending on your installation above is the default directory
However It always contains the following folders
Backup Compliance Sheriff Files :
In some configuration scenarios configuration files has been modified in the install folder so on all servers backup the following folder. to ensure all files can be restored if needed
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptzone
Backup SQL databases:
The following 1 database needs to be backup.
For manual backup instructions
Please read this https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187510.aspx
To do a full restore from scratch to the same or other servers please do the following.
- Uninstall Compliance sheriff on all servers.
- Ensure that the following folders do not exist on any server
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptzone
C:\ProgramData\Cryptzone (This Folder only exists on the server running the Controller Role)
- Ensure that the SQL server do not have any Compliance Sheriff databases.
Also the Database files (Log and Mdf files) must be moved/deleted from the physical location else the Compliance sheriff install wizard will not be able to create new blank databases.
- Install server roles and features necessary for CSheriff prior to installation of CSheriff. The below features all the roles and features needed for CSheriff 2012 and above
Windows Server 2016 with all roles
Install-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-45-Features,NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45,Web-Default-Doc,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Static-Content,NET-Framework-45-Features,NET-Framework-45-Core,MSMQ,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Stat-Compression,Web-Filtering,Web-Net-Ext45,Web-Asp-Net45,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Mgmt-Console,NET-Framework-45-Core,NET-Framework-45-ASPNET,NET-WCF-MSMQ-Activation45,NET-WCF-TCP-PortSharing45,Web-Server,Web-Common-Http,Web-Security,WAS-Process-Model,NET-HTTP-Activation, FS-SMB1
- Install Compliance Sheriff by following the Compliance Sheriff install guide.
Note: You have to use the same Instance name as before
The Instance name is the same name as the Customer name in the folder C:\ProgramData\Cryptzone\ComplianceSheriff\customers\
- In CS 5.x Stop the following Services in V4.3 Stop The Schedule tasks
Compliance Sheriff Controller Agent (on the server running Controller role)
Compliance Sheriff Worker Agent (on the servers running Worker Agent role)
World Wide Web Publishing Service (on the server running the Web Server role)
- On the server running the controller role restore/copy back the following folder.
- On the SQL Server Restore the 1 Compliance Sheriff Database.
For manual restore Instructions see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177429.aspx
- If a newer version of compliance sheriff is installed than before consult the upgrade section in the Compliance sheriff Install guide. If any databases upgrade scripts has to be run.
Compliance Sheriff 4.3
Compliance Sheriff 5.x