Secured eMail offers seamless email encryption simply by clicking on the Send Secured button in Outlook. It works as easy as this:
Global Communication - no password needed
With Global Communication enabled, users are not prompted for the Shared Secret (in encryption: the symmetric key).
For some reason your users are now being asked for the Shared Secret, even though you have enabled Global Communication:
There might be several reasons.
SEP client lost connection?
The most common one is that the SEP-client has lost connection to the SEP-server. Simply re-sync the SEP-client, explained here.
SEP-server cannot be reached?
If the SEP-server cannot be reached, please verify firewall settings, that you have the correct ports open and that the SEP-server can be reached from the client machine. If this does not solve the issue you might have a settings problem.
Go to the SEP-server and make sure that you have configured he following:
- Public URL - should be accessible from the Internet.
- SMTP: Hostname, port, username, password needed for registration, password activation/ reset and Global Communication – replying from web.
- Exchange: an account Hostname, Username, Password
- Secured Group
- Create and add all users (by drag and drop to the Secured Group) and in the external tab for Secured Group add *@*
- Secured Reply, (in SEP MC: configuration/Web/Secured eMail)
- Activation Templates (in SEP MC: configuration/Web/Secured eMail)
- User Activation Template and
- User Password Reset Template Default Web Reply (in SEP MC/policies/yourcompanypolicy/application settings/secured email)
- Certificate - a valid and trusted server certificate that matches the assigned domain name (otherwise your users will get certificate warning)
Are SEP-clients allowed to generate shared secrets?
Please also note that there is a setting in the Management Console for not allowing client generated Shared Secrets. To remove this functionality please go to:
SEP Management Console: Policies/select your policy/Editor tab/Settings/Secured eMail/Shared Secret and under: Secured eMail Shared Secret Creation tick: Do not allow user or client generated secrets.
If you still have issues after verifying these settings, please contact Cryptzone Professional Services team.